Over the course of it's 58 year lifespan, the narrow gauge railroad of Bridgton owned a total of eight steam locomotives. From the humble beginnings of B&SR #1 to the heavyweight #8, each locomotive had it's own story to tell. To view in depth history and technical details, click the action button next to each photo.
#1 was built in 1882 and served until 1913 when it was scrapped at Thompson's Point.
#2 was built in 1882 and served until 1907 when it was sold to WW&F. #2 served there until being scrapped in 1912
#3 was built in 1892 and served on the B&SR until 1922 when it was sold to the Kennebec Central which later sold the locomotive to WW&F where she would serve until being scrapped in 1933.
#4 was the first and only Porter locomotive built for the B&SR . It was built in 1901 and served until 1930 when it was retired and was ultimately scrapped.
#5 was the first 2-4-4T built for the B&SR. It was built in 1906 and was retired in 1935 by the B&H and was ultimately scrapped.
#6 was the first Baldwin locomotive for the B&SR. It was built in 1907 and served until being scrapped by the B&H in 1938.
#7 was built in 1913 and served until the end of the B&H in 1941. It was purchased by Ellis D. Atwood to work on the Edaville Railroad. The locomotive returned to Maine in 1993 and continues to operate at Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum.
#8 was the heaviest 2-4-4T and last Maine 2-foot locomotive ever built. #8 was built in 1924 and served until the end of the B&H. The locomotive would be purchased by Ellis D. Atwood and operated on the Edaville Railroad. In 1993 the locomotive returned to Maine and is currently on static display pending restoration.